Wednesday 20 July 2016

Upside down video

It lasts about 3 and half minutes and took maybe an hour in preparation.
The finished result looked fine on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 mobile. I downloaded from my phone to my computer and .................it was upside down.
No problems I thought. I can handle this. Just open a programme like VLC or Movie Maker and flip it. Easy? Well, no. Not easy. Flipping a video in VLC means jumping through numerous hoops and if you have not done this before then a painstaking run and pause through a YouTube clip. Anyway I abandoned this because the video was pixelating and going green.
Right let's use Movie Maker. Locate the video and look for the rotate icon. There it is but it's greyed out. Many tries later. Much looking around on the net. Finally 3 hours later I download Windows Essentials 2012 - forget to do custom download- and finally get a fresh Movie Maker. Still no joy - rotation still greyed out. What about Save as Movie Maker file? Slow, slow, slow but finally and the rotate icon is now "live". Choose the file and an hour later the video is flipped!
Much later it is uploaded.
Moral: Just refilm turning phone around!

5 comments:

  1. Yes time is precious/ think of the learning you did, the feeling of success and satisfaction solving a real world problem if students could show the same percerverence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed, I feel I would have given up and done the "Moral". With my video I just restarted a couple of times when couldn't work it out. However your way is so much better in the learning and knowledge you gained - as a facilitator in the class brilliant but the time issue is the major

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! Yes I too would have just re-filmed it! Mostly because my knowledge around the technical aspects is limited... as is my patience when things don't go the way they are supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had some problems too, but my 11yr old son soon sorted them out for me. My three sons have grown up with this stuff and are lightening quick, even when the software is completely new to them. It is like they are wired in! I find this is the case in the classroom and use those capable students to support others. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the feedback. All I have to remember now is which way is right side up on my phone!

    ReplyDelete